Getting Started with DeskDirector
Admin Console : Getting Started
Branding your DeskDirector Portal via Brand Packages
Color Theming a Portal via Brand Packages
Avatars in the DeskDirector Portal
Enable/Disable Chat Callback Feature
Enable/Disable Pre-Ticket Chat
Enable or Disable the 'Something Else' Option
Embedding Media as the Help Page
Portal Permissions in DeskDirector
FastTrack in DeskDirector
Setting Up and Using the VIP Priority
How to setup the Flag feature (ConnectWise)
Have Approvals go to Approvers according to site (ConnectWise)
Setting up Request Type Items
Request Type Ordering in the Client Portal
Getting Started with Request Type Groups
Getting started with DeskDirector Forms
DeskDirector Forms - Question Types in Detail
DeskDirector Forms - Dynamic Fields
DeskDirector Forms - Dynamic Fields Implementation Example
DeskDirector Forms - Sections and Conditionals
DeskDirector Forms - Embed content
DeskDirector Forms - Replace Summary Field with Title Automation
Importing Wufoo Forms to DD Forms
DeskDirector Forms - Dynamic content
DeskDirector Forms - Field value format for automation
Managing Companies in DeskDirector
Filtering Companies to Manage
Exporting Companies as CSV
Managing Contacts in DeskDirector
Exporting Contacts as CSV
Ticket Group Permissions
Intro to Menu Items
Creating Menu Items
Extension Menu Security and Query Paramaters
Adding BiggerBrains Menu Item
Getting Started with the Learning Center
How to change the name of the Learning Center
Useful Learning Center Tips - Adding files from Google and Dropbox
Email Notifications Overview
Setting up Global Email Notification Settings
Setting up Office 365 Mail Delivery
Setting up SMTP Server Mail Delivery
Setting up SendGrid Email Delivery
Getting Started with Email Template Engine - DeskDirector
Creating Custom Email Template
Setting Email Templates for Notification Events
Email Templates Auto Login Link
HTML Email Templates - ConnectWise
HTML Email Templates - Autotask
Troubleshooting email delivery issues using "Delivery History"
Default Ticket Board and Source
Setting up your Approval Statuses
Adding a VIP Priority via the Admin Console
Automatic Contact Creation
Setting Reopened Ticket Status
Setting Status when Ticket is Closed
Change Ticket Status when Customer Adds Note
PSA Integration (ConnectWise/Autotask)
Setting Office Hours
Enabling OAuth (Microsoft Login) for DeskDirector Portal
Logging in with Passwordless
Global Magic Token: Logging in via URL
Client Portal Office365 Single Sign-On
Switching from Custom Application OAuth to the new OAuth
ConnectWise Sell (previously Quosal)
How to configure ConnectWise Sell (previously Quosal) Order Porter integration
Adding ConnectWise Sell (previously Quosal) Order Porter link to opportunity
Microsoft Flow (Power Automate)
Get started with the DeskDirector Power Automate Connector
Power Automate Administration
Power Automate Template Gallery
Featured Solution: Teams Ticket Discussion
Featured Solution: Ticket Briefing
DeskDirector Connector Triggers
Action: Create an email from template
Power Automate Connector - Setting up your first flow
Deleting Orphaned Tickets
ConnectWise API Integration Tester
Autotask Data Sync
Diagnose Entities Tool
Service Agent Change Log
Auditing and Analytics
Contact Authentication Audit Log
Tech Portal : Getting Started
Managing Tickets from the Tech Portal
Tech Portal Ticket Details
Creating a Ticket from the Tech Portal
Request more information (forms request) with Task Forms
Enable/Disable Time Entry Timer Autostart
Getting Started with DeskDirector Chat
Handling Chat Requests
Viewing Chat History from the Tech Portal
Creating a Chat Session from the Tech Portal
Changing your Presence
"Pre-Ticket Chat" Feature
"Call me Back" Feature
Client Portal : Getting Started
Creating a Ticket from the Client Portal
Submitting a Generic Ticket
Creating a Chat Session from the Client Portal
Viewing Chat History from the Client Portal
Quotes & Invoices
A walk through all the fields available in DeskDirector forms
Logging in to DeskDirector Workflow
Deskdirector - Sign up walk through
DeskDirector Roles and Permissions
Tickets & Chats
Notifications & Broadcasts
Custom Forms & Request Types
Custom Email Templates
Surveys in DeskDirector
Approvals in DeskDirector
Advanced Authentication. No password, Single Sign On, MFA and beyond?
BiggerBrains & Learning Center
Other DeskDirector Features
Ticket Dynamic Contents
How Tos & FAQs
APIs and Integration
ConnectWise SOAP API credential
Creating an Integrator Login in ConnectWise (SOAP API)
Creating a ConnectWise RESTful Integrator API Key
Autotask integration major update 2022
ConnectWise Member Impersonation
Autotask Resource Impersonation
Creating an integrator API resource in Autotask
Autotask 2020.3 integration (API) resource migration
Third-party integration with DeskDirector
How User Authentication works in DeskDirector
Setting/Resetting a Contact's Password
Logging in with Active Directory
Desktop Portal v4 Installation - For the Legacy App
Diagnosing DeskDirector Desktop Portal Issues
Diagnosing automatic login issues (ActiveDirectory) using the DDGetSID CLI tool
Antivirus Blocking DeskDirector Portal Installation
Troubleshooting your DeskDirector Portal installation
DD Portal for Mac: Labtech Deployment Guide
DDPortal removal tool - uninstalling Windows portals
Deploying DD Desktop Portal v5 via PowerShell
Desktop Portal v5 Installation & Common Issues
Instance & Account Queries
Setting up your custom domain
Contact Limits FAQs
Finding out what server your DeskDirector instance is on.
How search works in DeskDirector products
Portal and User Issues
User can't log in
DeskDirector Portal Browser Support
Contact can't login portal, the contact is missing in admin console but it is in ConnectWise
DeskDirector Tech Portal - How to take advantage of browser tabs
Add DeskDirector Tech Portal as a Custom Menu item inside ConnectWise Manage
Sign in with Microsoft Issue in Tech or Admin Console - "Need Admin Approval"
How do I add Tech Members/Contacts/Companies to my DeskDirector instance?
Time Stamps in DeskDirector Portal
Missing contacts or companies in DeskDirector but they are in my PSA
User Group FAQs
Chat permission granted but "Chat" option is missing on "Contact Support" page
How do we set a landing page for the client portal?
User can't see "All Tickets" option
Tickets are missing in DeskDirector but they are on my PSA
My customer is seeing deleted tickets in portal
Ticket Description missing on ConnectWise emails
Top 10 Request Types
Generic vs Customized Request Types
Desktop Portal (Installed client) Vs. Web Portal (Web Client)
Common WuFoo errors
Changing the Summary of Wufoo Tickets
Creating your first Wufoo form
Adding Wufoo Forms To Request Support
Getting started with WuFoo Forms
Debugging Your Wufoo Integration
Switching PSA or merging with another CW/AT instance
How to Allow Time Entries for StreamlineIT Members
Essential and Dynamic Plan Breakdown
Subscribing to Chat Webhooks
Portal Deep Linking
Webhook Example with Zapier
Chat Session Payload
Legacy URL Linking in DeskDirector
Get started with portal extension page demo
Dynamic content based on logged in user
Exporting Portal Usage
TimeZest integration with DeskDirector
Troubleshooting Connectwise/Autotask-related integration issues
Portal Release Notes - Windows/macOS
Differences Between different Desktop Portal version
Portal Release Notes - Web Client
Release Notes in the Admin Portal
Microsoft Teams App
Introducing the DeskDirector for Microsoft Team App
Pre- Requisite - Unblock application in Teams Admin Portal
Installing the Microsoft Teams App (Tech)
Setting up a Tags for Teams Discussions (Tech)
Setting up DeskDirector for Microsoft Teams for your clients (Client mode)
Setting up Content Security Policy (CSP)
Branding the DeskDirector Teams App
Advanced topic: Setting up Tech & Client Mode in the same tenancy
Updated by Keison Tang
Using dynamic fields in DeskDirector forms requires an API endpoint to be created. This may be a barrier to people who don't necessarily have the time or expertise to develop such an API.
In this article, we will be going through a simple endpoint implementation using Power Automate, with our data source being an Excel sheet in Excel Online.
- Power Automate licensing with access to standard connectors.
- For this example, we are only using a standard connector: Excel Online (Business)
- Download the source Flow template and Excel sheet (click to download)
Step by step guide in video form. No audio.
Step by Step Guide
- Upload the Excel file into a document library in one of the supported locations as specified by the Excel connector: OneDrive for Business, SharePoint Sites, Office 365 Groups. We are using SharePoint in this demo.
- Create an Excel Online (Business) connection in Power Automate. The account you use needs to have access to the document library where you saved the Excel fileTip: use service accounts for all connections and flow ownership
- Import the flow in Power Automate
- Upload the template zip file and map the required connection.
- The import is expected to fail as the Excel action placeholders point to a non-existent file. Click 'Save as a new flow' to continue. This should open up the flow editor.
- Find the 'List rows present in a table' action. Navigate to the source data table in the Excel sheet. The table is called 'DatesTable'.
- Copy the HTTP trigger endpoint URL. Needed in next step.
- Turn on the flow.
- Create a form in DeskDirector
- Add a new field of Dynamic type. It should be at the bottom of the dropdown menu.
- Change the HTTP method to POST.
- Remove the
/from the input box before pasting the HTTP trigger endpoint URL in.
- Create a request type in DeskDirector
- Attach the form you just created.
- Enable the request type.
- Test the dynamic field in Portal
- Impersonate a Portal user from the admin console
- Find the request type. Click on the field without typing to see the top 30 dates. Type something to search, e.g 'Monday'.
- Exercise for the reader: The dates are currently returned in descending order. Try edit the flow to show the dates in ascending order.
- Congratulations! You have now implemented a dynamic field API endpoint for DeskDirector forms.
Pros and Cons of using Power Automate over a bespoke API
- Fast to implement, low code
- Easy to deploy and maintain
- Connectors to other Microsoft and third party services. Any potential auth is managed within Power Automate.
- Slow due to action overhead
- May get capped by action limits if endpoint is busy
- Limitation of available data actions and expressions may require you to do clunky workarounds/hacks for things that are trivial in code
You should now have some basic understanding of what is required to implement an API endpoint for a dynamic field, along with a working, practical example that you can build out from.
This template, along with others are also available in our template gallery.
Troubleshooting / FAQ
- I can't find the request type in the Portal
- Make sure the request type is enabled and the contact you are impersonating has access to it.
- In the Portal, the dynamic field returns "No results" or "Something went wrong with this question"
- This could one of many possible reasons. If you are familiar with your browser's dev tools, it is easy to check if your endpoint was successfully called and diagnose the issue. In the image below, the error is because the endpoint is not available (either off or doesn't exist anymore)
- If you are not familiar with dev tools, you could check the following:
- Is the flow on?
- Is the HTTP method set to POST?
- Did you remove the / (forward slash) from the URL input box before pasting in your own endpoint? If the forward slash is still at the front, it gets treated as a relative URL, and the dynamic field will try call an endpoint that looks like this:
- If your flow is on and was triggered (there is run history), then check the run logs for any issues.