Installing DD Portal
*We recommend removing older versions of the DeskDirector Client before installing DD Portal (e.g. DeskDirector 14.x -> 15.x).
The client has the following requirements in order to properly run:
- Only supports Windows 7 or later
- NET Framework (v4.5+) needs to be installed for the automatic updates
- Powershell 2.0+ is required for AD integration. (Powershell 2.0 ships with Windows 7)
- Do not install on Terminal Server/Citrix, we have a separate installer for this.
There are two installers available - an EXE and an MSI.
- Use the EXE to install for just the current user. DeskDirector will be running when the EXE completes.
- Use the MSI to install onto the machine. DeskDirector will install and start-up for each user that successfully logs in from that time on.
The .EXE Installer:
- Use the EXE if you wish to take a quick look on your own computer first.
- Please note that the .EXE is not signed and you may be presented with a windows security alert when you try to run it.
- The EXE accepts a silent flag (-s), if you run it via the command line. If you choose not to use this flag, a small animated image (.gif) will display as it is installing, and the application window will open after install.
- If you use the silent flag (-s) with the EXE, it will not display any image on install, and will launch minimized in the system tray.
The .MSI Installer:
- Use the MSI to distribute the application to your users.
- The MSI installs machine-wide.
- The MSI simply copies the EXE to a folder in %ProgramFiles(x86)% on the target machine. The folder will be named after your product name, followed by “Installer”. e.g. If your MSI was named My+Help+Desk.msi, the folder will be “My Help Desk Installer”
- A registry is created which runs this .exe on startup (which ultimately installs the application). This registry key should be created in the following directory:
`HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\` with the value: `%ProgramFiles%\DeskDirector Portal Windows Installer\deskdirectorportal.exe --checkinstall`
- This EXE will run for your users on next login with the silent flag enabled. This means when a new user logs into a machine where the application has been deployed, it will automatically be installed for them.
- In order to have the application install immediately for any logged in users, simply execute the .EXE in this folder, under the context of the current user, with no elevated permissions. Please ensure you execute it with the silent flag (-s), so that it will not disturb the user.
- Alternatively, you can simply log out and then log back in to trigger the installation process for a user.
Steps to deploy:
- Uninstall old versions of the DeskDirector client.
- Execute the MSI on the target machine(s) with any privileges you require.
- The application will install for each user on this machine, when they next login. If you wish to have it install immediately for logged in users, proceed to step 4.
- (optional) Execute the EXE inside the Program Files Installer folder that was created, with the silent flag (-s) for any logged in users, who wish to have it installed immediately.