Getting Started with DeskDirector
Admin Console : Getting Started
Branding your DeskDirector Portal via Brand Packages
Color Theming a Portal via Brand Packages
Avatars in the DeskDirector Portal
Enable/Disable Chat Callback Feature
Enable/Disable Pre-Ticket Chat
Enable or Disable the 'Something Else' Option
Embedding Media as the Help Page
Portal Permissions in DeskDirector
FastTrack in DeskDirector
Setting Up and Using the VIP Priority
How to setup the Flag feature (ConnectWise)
Have Approvals go to Approvers according to site (ConnectWise)
Setting up Request Types
Request Type Ordering in the Client Portal
Getting Started with Request Type Groups
Getting started with DeskDirector Forms
DeskDirector Forms - Question Types in Detail
DeskDirector Forms - Dynamic Fields
DeskDirector Forms - Dynamic Fields Implementation Example
DeskDirector Forms - Sections and Conditionals
DeskDirector Forms - Embed content
DeskDirector Forms - Replace Summary Field with Title Automation
Importing Wufoo Forms to DD Forms
DeskDirector Forms - Dynamic content
DeskDirector Forms - Field value format for automation
Managing Companies in DeskDirector
Filtering Companies to Manage
Exporting Companies as CSV
Managing Contacts in DeskDirector
Exporting Contacts as CSV
Ticket Group Permissions
Intro to Menu Items
Creating Menu Items
Extension Menu Security and Query Paramaters
Adding BiggerBrains Menu Item
Getting Started with the Learning Center
How to change the name of the Learning Center
Useful Learning Center Tips - Adding files from Google and Dropbox
Email Notifications Overview
Setting up Global Email Notification Settings
Setting up Office 365 Mail Delivery
Setting up SMTP Server Mail Delivery
Setting up SendGrid Email Delivery
Getting Started with Email Template Engine - DeskDirector
Creating Custom Email Template
Setting Email Templates for Notification Events
Email Templates Auto Login Link
HTML Email Templates - ConnectWise
HTML Email Templates - Autotask
Troubleshooting email delivery issues using "Delivery History"
Default Ticket Board and Source
Setting up your Approval Statuses
Adding a VIP Priority via the Admin Console
Automatic Contact Creation
Setting Reopened Ticket Status
Setting Status when Ticket is Closed
Change Ticket Status when Customer Adds Note
PSA Integration (ConnectWise/Autotask)
Setting Office Hours
Enabling OAuth (Microsoft Login) for DeskDirector Portal
Logging in with Passwordless
Global Magic Token: Logging in via URL
ConnectWise Sell (previously Quosal)
How to configure ConnectWise Sell (previously Quosal) Order Porter integration
Adding ConnectWise Sell (previously Quosal) Order Porter link to opportunity
Microsoft Flow (Power Automate)
Deleting Orphaned Tickets
ConnectWise API Integration Tester
Autotask Data Sync
Diagnose Entities Tool
Service Agent Change Log
Auditing and Analytics
Contact Authentication Audit Log
Tech Portal : Getting Started
Managing Tickets from the Tech Portal
Tech Portal Ticket Details
Creating a Ticket from the Tech Portal
Request more information (forms request) with Task Forms
Enable/Disable Time Entry Timer Autostart
Getting Started with DeskDirector Chat
Handling Chat Requests
Viewing Chat History from the Tech Portal
Creating a Chat Session from the Tech Portal
Changing your Presence
"Pre-Ticket Chat" Feature
"Call me Back" Feature
Client Portal : Getting Started
Creating a Ticket from the Client Portal
Submitting a Generic Ticket
Creating a Chat Session from the Client Portal
Viewing Chat History from the Client Portal
Quotes & Invoices
Logging in to DeskDirector Workflow
DeskDirector Roles and Permissions
Tickets & Chats
Notifications & Broadcasts
Custom Forms & Request Types
Custom Email Templates
Surveys in DeskDirector
Approvals in DeskDirector
Advanced Authentication. No password, Single Sign On, MFA and beyond?
BiggerBrains & Learning Center
Other DeskDirector Features
Ticket Dynamic Contents
How Tos & FAQs
APIs and Integration
ConnectWise SOAP API credential
Creating an Integrator Login in ConnectWise (SOAP API)
Creating a ConnectWise RESTful Integrator API Key
Autotask integration major update 2022
ConnectWise Member Impersonation
Autotask Resource Impersonation
Creating an integrator API resource in Autotask
Autotask 2020.3 integration (API) resource migration
Third-party integration with DeskDirector
How User Authentication works in DeskDirector
Setting/Resetting a Contact's Password
Logging in with Active Directory
Installing the DeskDirector Desktop Portal
Diagnosing DeskDirector Desktop Portal Issues
Diagnosing automatic login issues (ActiveDirectory) using the DDGetSID CLI tool
Antivirus Blocking DeskDirector Portal Installation
Troubleshooting your DeskDirector Portal installation
DD Portal for Mac: Labtech Deployment Guide
DDPortal removal tool - uninstalling Windows portals
Deploying DD Desktop Portal v5 via PowerShell
Desktop Portal v5 Installation & Common Issues
Instance & Account Queries
Setting up your custom domain
3000 Contact Limit FAQs
Finding out what server your DeskDirector instance is on.
How search works in DeskDirector products
Portal and User Issues
User can't log in
DeskDirector Portal Browser Support
Contact can't login portal, the contact is missing in admin console but it is in ConnectWise
DeskDirector Tech Portal - How to take advantage of browser tabs
Add DeskDirector Tech Portal as a Custom Menu item inside ConnectWise Manage
Sign in with Microsoft Issue in Tech or Admin Console - "Need Admin Approval"
How do I add Tech Members/Contacts/Companies to my DeskDirector instance?
Time Stamps in DeskDirector Portal
Missing contacts or companies in DeskDirector but they are in my PSA
User Group FAQs
Chat permission granted but "Chat" option is missing on "Contact Support" page
How do we set a landing page for the client portal?
User can't see "All Tickets" option
Tickets are missing in DeskDirector but they are on my PSA
My customer is seeing deleted tickets in portal
Ticket Description missing on ConnectWise emails
Top 10 Request Types
Generic vs Customized Request Types
Desktop Portal (Installed client) Vs. Web Portal (Web Client)
Common WuFoo errors
Changing the Summary of Wufoo Tickets
Creating your first Wufoo form
Adding Wufoo Forms To Request Support
Getting started with WuFoo Forms
Debugging Your Wufoo Integration
Switching PSA or merging with another CW/AT instance
How to Allow Time Entries for StreamlineIT Members
Essential and Dynamic Plan Breakdown
Subscribing to Chat Webhooks
Portal Deep Linking
Webhook Example with Zapier
Chat Session Payload
Legacy URL Linking in DeskDirector
Get started with portal extension page demo
Dynamic content based on logged in user
Exporting Portal Usage
TimeZest integration with DeskDirector
Troubleshooting Connectwise/Autotask-related integration issues
Portal Release Notes - Windows/macOS
Differences Between different Desktop Portal version
Portal Release Notes - Web Client
Release Notes in the Admin Portal
Table of Contents
Updated by Jason He
Portal v2~v4 was build based on Electron. Electron is a framework to create desktop application based on web application. The kernel of Electron is Chromium and Node.JS. It is used by many modern desktop applications. Such as Microsoft Enterprise version of Teams.
Portal v5 is build based on Microsoft's WebView2. The kernel of WebView2 is Chromium and C# (.Net). Compare to Electron, WebView2 is more secure. The script from web application can no longer have access to target operating system. The only way to communicate between C# managed code and Chromium in WebView2 is through communication protocol. Where application created by old version of Electron, it is possible to allow front-end script to direct communicate with Node.JS which open up backdoor. contextIsolation setting
- Highest security. Web Application can no longer talk to system through Node.JS. They can only communicate through strict communication channel.
- Native Azure AD support. Same as Microsoft Edge. As long as your OS is logged in through your Office365 account, then you are good to go.
- Better chat integration. New message arrived, new chat been initialized will all broadcast through windows notification.
- Better notification. V5 uses Windows 10 and 11's native notification. It allows more capability. Such as mute notification from windows. Different to v2~v4, sticky notification also achieved through windows notification. Where you can see actual notification message, not notification for notification eixt.
- More functionality. When creating ticket with v5, application is able to submit detailed device info. Such as OS version, network IP addresses etc through internal note.
- Chromium is always up to date. No longer require v3 to v4 update. WebView2 is installed separately, you can choose to install evergreen version
- Branding is done locally. You no longer has to wait on branding system to package your installer. You can get universal installer and attach any branding image you wish for.
- Desktop shortcut can be adjusted through installer. Similar to repair.
- Same capability as Portal V3 and V4.
- Any bug fix for communication protocol or native logic will require redeployment. Which is true for all desktop portal versions.
Q: Do I need to uninstall old portal before install new?
A: If target PC has portal v3 or v4, you can install directly. It will replace old portal. If it is v2 or older, you will need to run our uninstaller.
Q: Should I deploy v5 now?
A: We would encourage you to start using our TECH desktop portal first. In case we have any bug fix that requires redeployment. Since we have rewrite the whole desktop, it will take a month or two before we can call it is stablized.
Q: What kind of bug v5 could have? Security bug?
Q: What is TECH desktop portal?
A: Desktop portal for TECH similar to client portal, it allow you to login with ease. Since it has deep integration with Azure AD. Different to client portal, it also has support on vertical tab.
Q: Version 5 for MacOS is not available. When will DeskDirector release it?
A: WebView2 is currently only available for Windows. Microsoft is planning on release it for MacOS around Oct 2022. GitHub issue
- Single install location - Program Files
- Single app inside uninstall application list
- Portal is always up-to-date with Web Portal. The Web Portal directly is directly embedded into the desktop App rather than bundled with the installer. The web Portal is desktop-aware, so everything still works as you would expect.
- Supports terminal server
- The application logo will always be up-to-date (fetched at app startup), so there's no need to wait for auto-update cycle
- Easy to uninstall. Hit uninstall and everything related to Portal is removed. It can be easily done with RMM.
- Installation plays well with RMM tool
- Single installer, no brainer
- Desktop shortcut icon, application name, or hotkey combination won't be automatically updated. It requires re-deployment.
- Any fixes or updates to desktop portal specific features require re-deployment. Such as
- Active Directory login
- ScreenConnect integration
- Sticky notifications
- Screenshot functionality
- Any update to rendering engine of Portal for Desktop requires re-deployment
We expect to have less version updates for v3 in the future. Generally one or two releases per year, it is also your choice to update when new versions are released. For example, if you don't use sticky notifications and the fix is only for sticky notifications, then you don't have to upgrade. Or if the fix is only to upgrade rendering engine and you don't see anything broken from your end? You don't have to re-deploy.
- Auto-update: Any changes to desktop specific code (screenshots, AD auth, etc) will be deployed automatically
- Auto-update Branding: Any logo, icon, or hotkey changes will be deployed automatically
- Multiple portal installations appear inside installed app list
- Multiple install locations. There is an application installed inside Program Files and and app installed under user's Local App Data folder.
- When uninstalling, some leftover data remains
- Problem with windows permission restriction during installation or update
- Portal for desktop is always behind Web Portal's release cycle
- Terminal Server is not supported (due to the install location being inside Local App Data)
- Multiple installers for the same portal, not easy to figure out which one for which situation