Creating a ConnectWise RESTful API Key
1. Create an API Member. The Members screen can by found by going to the System Module and opening the Members page. After accessing the Members page, click on the API Members tab. Here you can create a new user and generate API Keys for them.
Create an API member
- In ConnectWise Manage, go to System > Members > API Members
- Click + to create a new API member
- In the Member ID field type DeskDirector
- Enter an email address (this should be a functioning email address at your company)
- You could give a generic member name such as Support Agent. You could also use more specific name. Such as DeskDirector API. There is known issue in ConnectWise email system, where it uses API member's name instead of note's owner when note is logged by API member on behalf of given user.
- Under System, select the Role ID Admin - or - select the custom security role you have created. Custom security role we will detail out the setting at end of this article.
- Under System, select the Level* to be Corporate.
- Complete any remaining required fields. The values you enter into these fields won't impact DeskDirector. For fields that aren't required, feel free to leave these blank or choose the default setting.
- Click Save.
Creating an API Key
- Select the API member created for DeskDirector in the previous section and click the API Keys tab
- Click + to create a new API Key
- For description enter API-Key, then click Save
- Make sure to write down the private key somewhere, else as it will only show up when it is created
Entering the API Key into DeskDirector
If you are migrating from SOAP to RESTful, then you will need to add the Public and Private key to your DeskDirector Instance. If you are a new client, then just add the details to the sign up form.
1. Add the keys to your DeskDirector under the General Configuration > Integration Tab in the Admin Console. If you are changing from SOAP to REST, you will need to email DD Support at this point so they can enable the RESTful sync
How the Security Role for the RESTful API member with admin role should look like:
Admin role is recommended. DeskDirector is ever evolve platform, where with permission to all the APIs avoids future modification requirement when platform evolves.
Custom security role for API member (Minimum requirement - 27th of May 2019)
Below is miniment requirement for custom security role. Keep in mind that this list is only valid at the time of this article, we will continue update this as DeskDirector evolves.
Time & Expense