Editing, Generating, Downloading the DeskDirector Clients
This article will explain how you can edit, create and download the DeskDirector clients (both the Client Console and Staff HUD).
1. Navigate to the Implementation Portal
You can find the implementation portal at the following address:
2. Login with your details
You should have been sent as part of the implementation a username and password to use to log in. If not email firstname.lastname@example.org to get a new one.
3. Edit your DeskDirector details
This is where you can customize DeskDirector's Client Console with your branding
3.1. Edit your DeskDirector name and startup settings
This section of the edit page allows you to change the name and startup details for the DeskDirector Client Console
- Under Shortcut Name enter the name DeskDirector will have when it appears on the Desktop of the computer. This is useful if the DeskDirector Name field is too long for a desktop icon (Note: If left blank it will use the DeskDirector name here)
- Under DeskDirector Name enter what you would like to call DeskDirector in the start menu, system tray and application title.
- Under the Hotkey section configure a hotkey that can be used to start DeskDirector when running in the System Tray. You can enter just a Hotkey without a Hotkey Modifier however note other applications may share this hotkey and BOTH DeskDirector and the other application will trigger.
- Run In Systemtray will cause DeskDirector to always minimize to the system tray when the user selects to close it.
- Add To Startup will cause DeskDirector to start when a user logs in. It will start in the system tray rather than full screen if Run In Systemtray is selected.
End users can change the Hotkey and Systemtray settings themselves by going to Settings from the My Profile page of the client
3.2. Uploading an icon and logo
This section of the page allows you to upload a custom icon and logo
- Select Choose File to select an icon file (Note: This needs to be in the .ICO format)
- Click Upload to upload the icon
- Select Chose File to select a logo to use (Note: This needs to be in the .PNG format and ideally 200px x 200px)
- Click Upload to upload the logo
4. Generating the clients
4.2. Chose the branded version of DeskDirector you want to create a client for
Select which version you want to generate
- This doesn't effect the Staff HUD (Engineer)
- MainBrand is your default branding
4.3. Check the details look good
Check the shortcut, name, hotkey, tray and startup settings, icon and logo are what you expect.
4.4. Select and generate the Client Console or Staff HUD (Engineer)
- Select from the dropdown the Client version you want to create (this defaults to the latest and we suggest you don't change this).
- Click Generate to create the Client Console version.
- Alternatively select the Staff HUD (Engineer) version you want to create (again we suggest the latest which is the default).
- Click Generate.
Once you click Generate you should see a prompt after 5-10 seconds telling you the software was generated successfully.
5. Downloading the clients
6. Creating a "subbrand"
DeskDirector allows you to create subbrands or other branded versions of the Client Console. This is useful if you have different company names within your business or want to add your client's branding in place of yours (Great for clients with on staff IT).
6.3. Set up the brand name
- Give the branded version a name
- Enter the Desktop shortcut name
- Enter the DeskDirector name
- Chose the hotkey
- Select the startup and tray settings
- Hit Add